Monday, March 20, 2006

"I got drafted" — Cheney

Josh Marshall has this quote from Dick Cheney:
I made sure both in 2000 and 2004 that the president had other options. I mean, I didn't ask for this job. I didn't campaign for it. I got drafted. And delighted to serve.
This from a guy who managed five deferments during the Vietnam War. As reported under George C. Wilson's byline in the Washington Post:
Cheney said that when he was between 18 and 26 there were periods when he was eligible to be drafted but had obtained student and marriage deferments from the draft for most of the period because "I had other priorities in the '60s than military service."(April 5, 1989)
So the draft came 30 years too late for Vietnam, but he still got to shoot a guy in the face. Oh, and as George Marshall points out, it was Cheney himself who headed the search team that drafted him.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.